Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Interview with Ms. Sy from Stilettos Swap

I had the pleasure of interviewing Ms. Sy of Stiletto Swap. For those of you who may not be aware of who she is, she is a talented, young woman with a strong passion for shoes. Not only can she rock the hell out of a pair of stilettos, she can embellish them as well with a touch of her own creative style.  Here are a few questions that Ms. Sy was gracious enough to answer for me...

1. At what age did your passion for shoes first begin?

My passion for shoes began around the age of 6-7. My father would take me shopping for shoes. He has an addiction then and to this day for shoes. He would take me to purchase school shoes and would buy me patent leather loafers, at that time if you had patent leather shoes you really had it going on :)


2. Who's your favorite shoe designer?
 
This is a hard one. Hmmm, there are 3, Alexander McQueen because of his abstract creativity, Christian Louboutin for constantly being diverse yet fashionable and
Jeffrey Campbell for always thinking outside of the box with his designs.

3. If you could collaborate with any other designer who would it be and why?
I would definitely love to work with Christian Louboutin. Not because of his popularity amongst celebrity and women in general, but truthfully because I love the way he invasions his designs. I love that he mixes colors, patterns, fabrics and tries anything new and eye catching and I think he may love some of the ideas I have in mind for designs.

4. How long have you been designing shoes?
I've been designing / embellishing for 2.5 years

5. What advice would you give a woman looking for the perfect shoe?
Find what type of shoe is right for you. Which means... Shoes are all cut differently. They're made differently by each company, take time to try on shoes, test out different brands and different styles. You'll learn what styles fit your feet comfortably. Try different heel heights, try shoes with and without platforms, chunky heels, stiletto's, closed toe, pointy toe, peep toes. Experiment with shoes, even if that means hanging around in shoes departments trying on shoes in front of a mirror, find what fits you and your comfort.

6. Where do you shop for your shoes?
I shop all over. Online, in department stores, discount stores. Anywhere that sells shoes.

7. If you could get one celebrity to rock one of your shoe designs, who you it be and why?
Goodness!!! Never thought of having to pick only 1. Hmm, Sheesh... Ummm, I would probably have to go with... Lala. I think she's awesome, definitely can see her stepping outside the box and wearing my designs comfortably and fiercely. However, my other choice is Lady Gaga as well as Beyonce.

8. I personally love heels because I feel like they bring my sexiness out even more. Why do you were heels?
I wear heels because I believe it's my gift as a woman. They make me feel like a goddess and highlight my dominance. Whether it's true or not, they make me feel like I am the most stunning creature in the room. They give me a feeling of power and seduction. And, they're beautiful.

9. How much do you charge to design shoes?
My Simplest design starts at $40 and designs go up from there depending on designs and complexity of the design which may warrant expensive materials and/or take a lot longer for me to do.
10.What is your stiletto swap events about?
StilettoSwap Events provide the opportunity for women to swap or sell their brand new or gently worn shoes with other women. It's a wonderful girls day /night out to enjoy cocktails, food, fun all while mingling with other wonderful women. Women bring in their shoes and have the opportunity to try on other shoes they're interested in and either swap with the owner of the shoes they're interested in or the owner can sell the shoes to the interested party for a reasonable amount.

11.When is your next event?
1. I've put a hiatus on my Young Girls Embellishment Workshop til the weather breaks. My Young Girls Workshop provide a positive place for parents to bring their daughters ages 6-16 to work collaboratively on embellishing their children's shoes or sneakers. I wanted to provide a space where parents could bring their children and do something fun while allowing them to bond. My workshop is healed at the public library in Harlem one Saturday per month from 1-4p. When I start back up, probably in April, I will begin allowing young males to attend. All children need positive encouragement to keep them on the right path, not just young girls.

2. Because my following has grown and because of the positive feedback I received in September on my 3rd annual Swap, I have been asked not to have them annually and have them more. So I've decided to have a swap every 6 months and hopefully will have my next Swap in March-April (once the weather breaks).

3. I will be having upcoming fundraiser events as I am raising funds to travel with a wonderful non-profit Soles4Souls (www.soles4souls.org) to provide shoes to this in need in Tanzania, Africa. Please feel free to visit:
to check out my fundraising site.


12. How could you be reached if someone is interested in having you design their shoes?

Several ways:



Phone / Text: 646-489-4476

Facebook / Twitter / Instagram: StilettoSwap




Ladies, ladies, ladies, what are you waiting for? The holiday season is rapidly approaching  and with that comes office parties and family gatherings . So why not be caught rocking a pair of stylish shoes embellished by Ms. Sy herself.

Below are some pictures of Ms. Sy, along with some of the shoes she has embellished.




No comments:

Post a Comment